New Jersey family demands investigation after their dog dies during a visit to the groomers.
[YouTube Screenshot/Fair Use/Credit: ABC7NY]

A 180-pound Newfoundland dog was dropped off at Glamour Paws in Mahwah, New Jersey, by Jennifer Laddy on Thursday. By the end of the day, the beloved pet was dead. Now the Laddy family wants answers.

Before dropping the 5-year-old pup, Samson, at the groomers, the family had asked the owner if they can handle big dog breeds. The owner assured them that it was not a problem.

But when Jennifer Lady went to pick up the dog, Samson was lying behind a desk, barely moving.

“I saw he had red eyes and red gums,” Laddy said. “He tried to get up, and his legs collapsed beneath him. The owner said, ‘Oh, the floors are slippery here,’ and then he said (Samson) is just hot anyway, he’s fine. And I said no, something’s not right.”

She and her husband, Stephen, immediately took Samson to the veterinarian, who told them the dog had a heat stroke and his temperature was over 109 degrees.

The devastating news came later.

“They gave us a five percent chance of Samson making it, and even then, they didn’t know what kind of brain function he would have,” Stephen said. ” So we ultimately decided to let him go.”

The Laddy family said they have yet to hear from Glamour Paws, and they believe the groomer may have dried him under excessive heat.

“There are these cages with dryers attached. We suspect they had Samson in one of these cages. He’s a big dog; we suspect they overheated him,” said Jennifer.

Rosemary Marchetto — the sponsor behind Bijou’s law, which she crafted eight years ago after her dog never came home from routine grooming — said that Laddy’s are the second family who has lost a dog at a New Jersey grooming business over the last week.

“This is a story I hear all the time. I get calls from all over the country,” Marchetto said.

She said it’s her goal to allow pet groomers to become state-licensed, which doesn’t exist in any state currently.
“There’s nothing, no oversight on the state level,” Marchetto said. “Your dog dies, I’m sorry — if you get that.”

The bill would also outlaw heating cages, but it has sat in limbo in the state legislature for nearly a decade. Marchetto and families like the Laddy’s hope something will change before another family suffers a loss like theirs.

“They could have done something; they should have called the vet car immediately because if they did, perhaps our dog would still be with us,” said Laddy.


반가워요 ????

매일 멋진 콘텐츠를 받으려면 가입하세요.

We don’t spam! Read our privacy policy for more info.

회신을 남겨주세요

귀하의 의견을 입력하십시오!
여기에 이름을 입력하십시오.