The Food and Drug Administration (F.D.A.) issued a warning to Midwestern Pet Foods after links were found between their products and the illnesses and deaths of hundreds of pets.
It all began after the F.D.A. received a complaint about a dog getting sick after ingesting the brand, SPORTMIX, which is manufactured in Chicksa, Oklahoma.
The F.D.A. discovered that SPORTMIX contained aflatoxin levels as high as 558 parts per billion during an inspection.
Anything higher than 20 parts per billion is considered contaminated.
The F.D.A. says that it is fully aware that over 130 dogs have died, and more than 220 pets have fallen ill from eating brands of pet food produced by Midwestern.
The administration has asked the company for a written response within 15 working days that states the specific steps they will take to correct any violations.
“Failure to adequately address any violations promptly may result in legal action, including product seizure and/or injunction,” the F.D.A. said.