A Texas family lost their beloved pet with the ‘heart of a bear’ last week after a rattlesnake bit and killed their 10-year-old, 15-pound terrier mix named Scooter.
Homeowner Brian Chaffe wrote on Facebook that Scooter lost his life protecting their home.
With a desire to guard his family, it’s no surprise Scooter immediately ran up to a giant rattlesnake hiding under the porch when he was let outside.
Hill Country Snake Removal said it gets “a few calls a week” on average during the spring and end of the summer into the fall.
Chaffe said he first realized something was wrong when he heard a loud yelp from his backyard on Friday around 5:15 p.m.
“I ran outside to see Scooter walking funny and Winnie barking at the porch,” Chaffe said. “I gathered up Scooter and saw a bite mark on his neck.”
Within 30 minutes, Chaffe and his wife had rushed Scooter to a veterinary clinic. The veterinarian gave Scooter antivenom, and then he was transferred to a pet hospital.
Scooter died around 2 a.m. on Saturday.
“We are sad,” Chaffe said. “Our boys, 3 and 5, are very sad and keep asking if Scooter is coming back.”